Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tomatoes In My Fruit Basket!

Posted by Akwe Mabs

Each time I return from the food market I wash , dry, package and store some food items in the refrigerator.

Recently I decided to include fresh tomatoes in my fruit basket rather than preserve all of it in the refrigerator. My idea is to encourage my family to eat fresh & raw tomatoes as is the case with other fruits often placed in the basket. Somehow it's beginning to work!

Some described tomato as a fruit others say it is a vegetable. Whatever the case tomatoes are used in many different ways. Often I use tomatoes to make sandwiches, for salads, for garnishing, to prepare sauce, vegetable and on many other occasions.

Here's a simple sandwich I make in less the 3 minutes using fresh tomatoes:

  • 1 loaf of bread (french loaf)

  • 1 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise

  • 1 large tomato

  • 1 onion

  • 3 large lettuce leaves

  • 1 teaspoon vinegar

*Wash thoroughly and slice- the tomatoes, lettuce, onions. I prefer to do ring-shaped slices for the onions and the tomatoes. Sprinkle some vinegar over the onions and lettuce. Slice open the bread and apply mayonnaise on both sides, then neatly place the lettuce, onions and tomatoes. You may want to add some other items like sausage, hard-boiled eggs or cheese Otherwise just go ahead and enjoy the sandwich.

It's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Akwe's Cuisine